The Baltic University Programme PhD Award 2023
The Baltic University Programme (BUP) PhD Award supports high-quality research promoting sustainable development in a Baltic Sea Region context. The award is established in two research areas, one award for each:
- Natural Sciences, Technology and Engineering
- Social Sciences and Humanities
The BUP PhD Award is a distinction given to the author of what is judged to be the most qualified PhD work defended at any of the BUP participating universities according to the following criteria: originality, inter-/multi disciplinary approach, novelty, innovation, and value for promoting sustainable development in a Baltic Sea Region context. Any author affiliated with a BUP participating university that has defended their PhD thesis during 2022 can be nominated.
The winners will receive a prize in the form of a diploma and support up to a maximum of 1000€ for either attending a scientific conference or publishing in a peer-review scientific journal. The details of the publication or conference should be agreed upon with the BUP and the invoice should be sent directly to the BUP Coordinating Secretariat. Please observe that expenditures paid directly by the applicant will be not reimbursed.
For the BUP PhD Award 2023 we accept thesis defended in 2022 which are nominated by the supervisor/s of the thesis.
The Nominations for the BUP PhD Award must contain:
- The candidate’s CV
- Diploma for the PhD defence, including the title of the thesis and date of the defence
- An electronic version of the PhD thesis (thesis written in English or any language of the BUP member states will be accepted)
- Support letter from the supervisor of the thesis
- A five-page summary in English of the thesis (also for theses written in English) that should include:
- Brief description of the research and major findings
- List of publications
- Description of the inter-/multi disciplinary approach
- Description of the novelty and innovation of the research
- The thesis relation to sustainable development in a Baltic Sea Region context
How to nominate the PhD Thesis
In order to nominate the PhD Thesis, please, follow the link below:
The deadline for nomination is 21 May 2023.
A Scientific Committee appointed by the Board of BUP is responsible for the selection process. The thesis will be assessed from the following criteria:
- inter-/multi disciplinary approach
- promoting sustainable development in a Baltic Sea Region context
For further information or questions, please contact Lyudmyla Babak at the BUP Coordinating Secretariat.