BUP Annual Award - PhD Thesis 2019
The Baltic University Programme Annual Award - PhD Thesis 2019
The Baltic University Programme (BUP) award for the best PhD thesis supports high quality research promoting sustainable development. The awards are established in two research area groups:
- Natural Sciences, Technology and Engineering
- Social Sciences and Humanities.
Deadline for nominations: 30th August 2019.
1. The Award
The BUP award is a distinction given to the author of what is judged to be the most qualified PhD work defended at any of the BUP Member Universities according to the following criteria: inter-/multi disciplinary approach, novelty, innovation, and value for promoting sustainable development. Any author that has defended his/her PhD thesis during 2018 can be nominated. Those having a focus on the Baltic Sea region will be given priority in the assessment process.
2. The Prize
The winners will receive a prize in the form of a diploma and a sum of up to 500 Euro to cover travel costs and/or accommodation for attending a research conference. In addition, BUP will also cover travel costs and accommodation for presenting the research during one of the BUP events in 2019/2020. Travel and accommodation expenditures funded by this grant must be paid with invoice by the Baltic University Programme Coordinating Secretariat. Please observe that expenditures paid directly by the applicant will be not reimbursed.
3. Candidates nominated for the award must meet the following criteria:
- Thesis defended in 2018;
- The candidate is nominated by the supervisor/s.
4. The Nominations for the BUP PhD Annual Award must contain:
- The candidate’s CV;
- Diploma for the PhD defence, including the title of the thesis and date of the defence;
- An electronic version of the PhD thesis (thesis written in English or any language of the BUP member states will be accepted);
A 5-page summary in English of the thesis (also for theses written in English) that should include:
- Brief description of the research and major findings
- List of publications
- Description of the inter-/multi disciplinary approach
- Description of the novelty and innovation of the research
- The thesis relation to sustainable development and focus on the Baltic Sea region.
- Support letter from the supervisor of the thesis
5. Selection Process
A Scientific Committee appointed by the Board of BUP is responsible for the selection process. The thesis will be assessed from the following criteria:
- inter-/multi disciplinary approach
- promoting sustainable development focus on the Baltic Sea region
The deadline for nominations for the BUP prize is the 30th August 2019.
All submitted documents must be properly named (including the title of the document as well as name of the applicant) and sent by email to: Christian Andersson.
Download the Announcement: BUP PhD Award 2019.
Director, Ph.D. Associate Professor
The Baltic University Programme
Villavägen16, SE-752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
ph: +46-18-471 6853